Saturday, June 25, 2011

On the Road Again

Finally. Let's get this party started. Riding about 68 miles today from Ludington to Beulah, Michigan. Did you know that Lake Michigan has 116 lighthouses? They're not just for oceans anymore. (Spoken by a person from a land locked state.) This one is in Manistee.



And just around the corner (literally) is this cute neighborhood.



These daisies are everywhere. I have to keep myself from gathering them by the handful. I do, however allow myself to pick a pretty flower here and there, and wedge them onto a spot on my handlebars.

These dainty irises are all over the place, too.

One of the hardest parts of these rides is that we don't have enough time to stop and look at everything. For instance, what do you think is at the top of this staircase? No time to find out.


I did get sucked into this cute little store though to buy a postcard. And a sticker. And sample a piece of fudge :)


Thankfully, some construction workers pointed out some poison ivy to us. All I could remember is something I learned in Girl Scouts: "Leaves of three, let it me." I am certain they saved us from some kind of nasty rash. Thanks guys!

Pretty innocent looking, isn't it? It's everywhere!


We really haven't had very many great views of Lake Michigan yet. Just a peek, here and there. But this one was breathtaking. Oh my!

A few weeks ago we were watching a piece about golfing in Michigan on the Golf Channel. In between highlights of fabulous golf courses, they would show other interesting places to check out while you're in the area. One dining recommendation was The Cherry Hut in Beulah, Michigan. Their motto seems to be "Anything is better if you add cherries to it." Anything. The Golf Channel highlighted their cherry hamburgers. I had my mouth set for one of those all day. Would it be sweet? Have a different texture? Would I see red bits of sweetness when I bit into it? Joy and I shared one for lunch. Turns out it did taste good and was quite moist, but we had to ask if we had really gotten the cherry hamburger. So, it tasted about the same as a regular hamburger, but lower in fat. Other items on the menu: Cherry BBQ Pork, Cherry Jelly and Peanut Butter, Cherry Chicken Salad Croissant and, of course, just pick your favorite dessert and they have a cherry version of it.

And if you like your cherries inside and out, in the ladies room you can use complimentary cherry hand soap, cherry lotion, and cherry perfume.

4 comments:

  1. Usually my motto is everything is better with chocolate on it but I'd give a cherry burger a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun trip. It is great you have time to take pictures of flowers if not stop and smell them all. The lighthouse is sweet it could be on any ocean coast.
    I'm off to London town this week.
    Happy Travels to us Both!
    A.I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I can't be with you guys. I'm in Leadville struggling to build red blood cells for the Rockies Reunion Ride starting this week. Your pictures are far different from my views here. Say "Hi" to Mike and Shane, Loren and JB for me.

    Steve L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need more info on the cherry burgers. Were cherries crushed up and mixed in with the meat or did it just have cherry flavoring? Please elaborate. Also, I liked how you described the flowers as "dainty."

    ReplyDelete