Friday, July 11, 2014

Rapid City, SD to Wall, SD 58 Miles

"I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream."----Mike and me


Short day. 58 miles. I tried to stay with the fast guys' train. I did for maybe 15 miles, but South Dakota has what they call "rollers". Small hills. You can get going pretty fast downhill, but then the dreaded uphill comes. Even if it's small, it's hard to keep up. So, it was back to my own pace. I'm amazed at the stuff towns come up with to draw tourists. Wall has Wall Drug Store. During the depression, the Wall Drug Store owners had the brilliant idea to offer free ice water to motorists. Makes sense. This was pre-air conditioned automobiles and probably most people had ice boxes in their homes. It would sound very refreshing, and the price was right. They put out sign after sign after sign on Route 16A. It worked. Today it is still a very busy place, and draws as many tourists as Mt. Rushmore, I am told. They still offer free ice water and coffee for a nickel. However, their 50-cent ice cream cones cost two bucks. Gotta make a profit somewhere.

Love the typography.
 


Inside one small portion of the store/complex.
Only vanilla soft serve ice cream.


Short day. Short post. Next comes a 117-miler to Pierre, South Dakota.




2 comments:

  1. Go Leslie! I love love love your posts. Never cease to amaze me and make me laugh. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a ColdStone in your honor ! And shopping at WalMart ! Sweeet ! Like you are ! Love you this much ( )

    ReplyDelete